It's All About the Data

It's All About the Data
It's All About the Data

Monday, March 17, 2014

Goals: Then - Now - If



Every so often, I read and hear something that gives me a moment of pause, a chance to take stock of me.  I was looking at LinkedIn and ran across this discussion…

Please review the YouTube video of Matthew McConaughey's acceptance speech.  I want to talk about McConaughey's three points and how they relate to our business lives.

LOOK UP TO
Whether you are as religious as McConaughey is, or not - we still need something to look up to.  Someone or something that we aspire to be.  Some traits that you believe are essential.  The traits that I look up to are honesty, mentorship, and leadership.  The question is  - WHAT DO YOU LOOK UP TO?

LOOK FORWARD TO
Every business trip I go on , I look forward to getting home, to seeing my wife's smile, and giving our dog Toby a big tummy scratch. 

Our business life should revolve around what  gives us passion, what we look forward to doing.  If you are not looking forward, then I believe you are stuck.  WHAT IS YOUR PASSION?

SOMETHING TO CHASE
I loved McConaughey's answer here.  He said he was chasing himself ten years down the line.  I chase getting better at what I do as a man, a husband, and in my job.  Chasing something requires improvements (continuous improvement), which is what lean thinking and processes are about.  Again if you are not improving, than you are degrading…..WHAT ARE YOU IMPROVING ON?

Saturday Night Live did a spoof on McConaughey's speech (and it was funny); however the essence of the speech (Look up to, Looking forward to, and something to chase) is a strong and powerful message worth our attention and thought.

David Haynes, PMP, is Director of Consulting at Ideate, Inc. (www.ideateinc.com).  David's experience is in providing companies with business process analysis and change implementation.  @dhaynestech.

No comments:

Post a Comment