It's All About the Data

It's All About the Data
It's All About the Data

Monday, February 17, 2014

Breaking Down Barriers



One of the responsibilities of a leader is to encourage team communication.  That open discussion of strategic goals the company is achieving, projects that need completion, issues that need resolution are all important elements of a successful team.  Barriers stop the achievement of these elements.

WHAT SHOULD A LEADER DO?

ANSWER - Break down those barriers.  Some approaches that make sense.
  • Create consensus - everyone 'rowing in the same direction'
  • Create a culture of active listening (which helps in creating consensus)
  • Leaders need to participate in discovery, process, and solution of the goals/projects.
  • Remove roadblocks - wish I would have understood this earlier in my management career.

Good leaders can manage to remove barriers in most cases.  However, there is a barrier that is hard to overcome.

THE TEAM MUST WANT TO SUCCEED !

What would make a team member not want to succeed?  I think the crucial part is the word "succeed".  Consensus is not alignment.  Alignment of goals, needs, and motivation are overlooked elements to the word "succeed".  What is the difference between an aligned and non-aligned team:


ALIGNED
NOT ALIGNED
Goals
Company - how will this affect my team and team members
Personal Goals - how will this affect me
Needs
Team - how can I assist the team to achieve the goals
Resume Building - I need to say I was part of this so my next job appreciates my achievement
Motivation
All-in - how can I contribute to the success of company/goal/project
Skating - hoping the problem/project/goal goes away

Alignment to the goals is key.  Verifying that your team is in alignment is tougher.  Ask the tough questions, set definable benchmarks, and hold the team accountable.

David Haynes, PMP, is Director of Consulting at Ideate, Inc. (www.ideateinc.com).  David's experience is in providing companies with business process analysis and change implementation.  @dhaynestech.

No comments:

Post a Comment